May 31st is National Moving Day, so this one is for all you people who are moving, and the realtors, in the audience.
Here are some things to consider about moving your possessions:
• You will spend less on moving if you de-clutter before your move (fewer boxes, less time needed from the moving company)
• If, with everything else you have to do, you just can’t bear the thought of de-cluttering before your move, then do it as soon after your move as possible. A professional organizer like myself has a good eye for what can fit into a space, can help you decide what to winnow out, and has good suggestions for ‘staging’ your new home.
• If you want to de-clutter your old home or organize your new home but don’t have three hours to spend with an onsite organizer, then take advantage of my Virtual Organizing service – just a one hour minimum, flexible hours, and we create a plan together for you to implement in between sessions. Easy-peasy.
• Put those items aside that you want easy access to at the other end – essential food prep items, snacks, toiletries, bedding, PJ’s, next day’s clothes – and either 1) put those items in your own vehicle, or 2) clearly mark the box(es) they are in with “FIRST TO BE OPENED” and instruct the movers, “first in, last out” so that it’s most likely to end up being accessible.
• Adjust your attitude – it’s not a hassle, it’s an adventure!!